It is officially summer and many of us are going to be traveling with our families, so listed below are some helpful tips to keep you and your family's feet healthy during your travels.
Tips for Traveling with Healthy Feet:
- Wear comfortable shoes through the airport. You never know how long you will wait in line, how far the terminal, or if you have to make a mad dash to make a connecting flight.
- Wear socks with those comfortable shoes. With security so stringent at the airports today, we’re asked to remove our shoes. Walking on our naked feet across the security platform is less than sanitary.
- Bring flip flops or sandals. Avoid any barefoot walking in common bathing facilities as this can lead to athlete’s foot or plantar wart type infections.
- Place a towel on the floor before entering the shower or bathtub. This can prevent slipping once you’re clean. The towel will also help dry and protect those toes from opportunistic infections.
- If you are traveling more than 2 hours, be sure to stretch your legs and pump your feet. This will help circulate the blood to prevent blood clots.
- Consider wearing compression socks on the plane to help prevent blood clots by pushing the blood through the legs and back to the lungs and heart.
- Avoid bringing new shoes on vacation. New shoes tend to be stiff and unforgiving. If you plan to dance the night away, wear shoes that will make your feet feel as happy as you are.
- Pack a small first aid kit for any blisters or small trauma you might sustain. If you do have trauma, clean your feet with saline (eye solution), apply a small amount of antibiotic cream and cover with a band-aid or gauze.
- Be mindful of your traveling companions. Assure that your children’s shoes fit well as they will have to keep up with you.
- Apply sunscreen to your feet. Your feet can be sun burnt and develop skin cancer as other parts of your body.
Please follow our tips to ensure a fun and foot healthy vacation!